Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pittsburgh Farmers Market

Farmers @ the Firehouse

I want to write a few more posts about my most recent trip to Pittsburgh, PA.  My trips there always include great food, no matter how long I'm there, and my stay over this past Fourth of July holiday weekend was no different.

One morning, Anna and Jim and I ended up at the Pittsburgh Farmers Market in the Strip District.  Though small, it had a lot to offer.

Goat cheese

A visit to one farm's table proved especially inspiring.  Fresh goat chevre being served on graham crackers with fruit jam inspired Anna and me to buy some of the cheese and make our own open-faced jam and cracker sandwiches back at the house.  The feta from this farm was also top-notch.

For kale chips

Naturally, I picked up two giant bags of kale so that I could make a batch of kale chips.

Pittsburgh Farmer's Market

Though we had a general plan of acquisition, we enjoyed wandering and checking out what everyone had to offer.

Bread table

Slow Foods Table 3

We had a chance to chat with several of the women at the "Slow Food Pittsburgh" table. I sampled a delicious, fresh applesauce and appreciated that they were set up to do on-site cooking demos.

Slow Foods Table 1

Slow Foods Table 2

Slow Foods/Local Foods

With so much in season, how could we not eat well?

Farmers at the Firehouse Farmers Market
Saturdays 9:30 am - 1:30 pm (May - November)
Strip District - 2216 Penn Avenue 


-------

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails