Friday, December 25, 2009

An Overdue CSA Wrap-Up

CSA chicken - roasted

We finished off the last CSA chicken in the freezer (now only chicken parts for stock and a hunk of farm fresh butter remain), and it reminded me that I've been meaning to close out my 2009 CSA experience with a wrap-up of my favorite dishes from this year's adventure.

A lot of "Top 10" lists appear around each year's end, so I'll add mine to the mix and hope this season will make the timing seem appropriate, rather than belated. I do have more than 10 recipes to mention, though, so I won't be entirely traditional.


Jennette's 15 Favorite CSA Eats from 2009
(in alphabetical order, not in order of preference, because all of these dishes were amazing)

Kale Lovers' Pizza

1. 5-Cheese Pizza with Kale and Roasted Garlic (week 4).


Beetonade

2. Beet Lemon-limeade (week 3).


Beets, Blue Cheese Sauce, and Spiced Walnuts

3. Beets with Blue Cheese Sauce and Spiced Walnuts (week 18).


Green Bean Salad with soy-glazed almonds

4. Cold Green Bean Salad with Soy-Glazed Almonds (week 8).




5. David Chang's Brussels Sprouts with Mint (week 21).


Eggplant bread salad

6. Eggplant Bread Salad (week 12).


Fried Cucumbers

7. Fried cucumbers with Lemon Pulp (week 5).


Kale chips

8. Kale Chips (week 8).


North African Stuffed Purple Peppers

9. North African Stuffed Purple Bell Peppers in Feta Sauce (week 7).


Onions and beets
(pictured at bottom)

10. Peas a la Francaise (week 3).


Fried Green Tomatoes

11. Polenta-Crusted Fried Green Tomatoes (week 19).


Pommes de Terre Byron

12. Pommes de Terre Byron (week 14).



Stir Fry

13. Stir-fried Bok Choy with Anything Else (week 1, for starters).


Buttermilk Sweet Potato Pie slice

14. Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie (week 21).


Chicken lettuce wraps with chili lime dipping sauce

15. Vietnamese Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Lime Dipping Sauce
(week 3).


---------

I didn't sign up for a winter CSA share in time (maybe next year), but I have already indicated my interest in doing another spring-summer-fall share. I hope you'll join me (in a CSA or by mindful shopping habits) in enjoying seasonal, local vegetables and the many ways they can be eaten.

And thanks again for all of your support.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails