Sunday, August 24, 2008

Not pictured

Through the eye

I didn't take a lot of pictures in Portland, OR which is too bad because in some ways I liked Portland as a city better than Seattle. Don't get mad, Seattle, I like you, too.

So, we stayed with a very hospitable friend in NW Portland (where I was delighted to discover that many of the streets inspired Simpsons characters' names) and wandered around looking for food a lot. One morning found us in Ken's Artisan Bakery on NW 21st Avenue.
I have to say, even without having a picture of it to post, that it was there I ate what might be the best croissant I've ever tasted. It was flaky and tender and fresh-tasting with a real bread flavor - not just the "empty air and butter" of some old pastries. I think Ken's sells bread and pastries all over the city, and if the croissant is any indication of the other items' superiority over competitors' breads, they're probably doing excellent business.

p.s. Planning street names so that they run in alphabetical order is such a good idea. I've seen this in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and in Portland, OR. I imagine other cities have grids like this, too. So much better than naming your streets after states, and then putting them in chronological order depending on when they joined the Union. Lawrence, KS, I'm looking at you!

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails