Thursday, June 5, 2008

An alphabet of food associations

Alphabet

A = applesauce, homemade. When I was a kid I didn't understand why the applesauce at school was yellow (or pink) and thin and watery. Gross me out the kitchen door! Applesauce is brown and chunky and thick. B = bacon, turkey. C is for cookie. That's good enough for me. D = doughnut, blueberry or filled with some sort of goo. E = at Ethan's house, his mom always had Chef Boyardee ravioli, which has a sauce that is way too sweet but I would be tempted to eat again and regret because I loved it then. I loved after-school snacks at Ethan's house. F = flossing. Some foods require more than others. Today I had a nectarine for breakfast. Then I had to floss selected teeth. G = grapes. I like green ones. I hear frozen is nice. H = hot cocoa with marshmallows. I = ooh. Ethan also had ice cream sandwiches. Lick the ice cream in the middle out first. J = jelly. This was my nickname at camp one year for about a minute. K = I'm kind of tired of ketchup. But it has its place. Hot dog - yes. Sausage - no. L = lemon or lime. In my experience, lemon squares never turn out the same consistency twice. M = milk complements so many snacks. N = Nigella Lawson goes to her refrigerator in the middle of the night and eats chocolate cake? I sleep straight through the night. Think of all the snack time I'm squandering. O = an O looks like a cookie. P = peanut butter. Pie. Chocolate peanut butter pie. Q = quince -- a fruit I'd like to try. This is not supposed to rhyme. R = root beer float. S = s'mores (Angela gave me a s'mores-maker for Christmas or my birthday one year and it should probably be featured on this site sooner or later). T = tomato slices with salt and pepper. U = I don't love pineapple upside-down cake. V = vanilla wafers. I'm almost out of vanilla from the trip to Mexico. Who has the best vanilla? W = watermelon. I will eat it plain. I will eat it in feta and olive salad. Thank you. Honorable mention: wasabi peas. X = as much as I love Wheat Chex with a little too much sugar in milk, Crispix mix has replaced Chex mix as my dry snack mix of choice. Y = Greek yogurt with raw honey. 2% fat or more. Heavenly. Z = Yipes! Stripes! Fruit-striped gum!

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails